Buenos Aires Museum of Modern Art
The museum opened on April 11, 1956, and resulted from an initiative by sculptor and diplomat Pablo Curatella Manes and art critic Rafael Squirru (its first director). Located initially in Buenos Aires' Witcomb Gallery, the museum was later housed in the San Martín Cultural Center, and was moved to its current location, a former Nobleza Piccardo tobacconist in the San Telmo neighborhood, in 1986. Its collections include over 6,000 works, including those by Josef Albers, Antonio Berni, Curatella Manes, Raquel Forner, Romulo Macció, Marcelo Pombo, Marta Minujín, Emilio Pettoruti, Xul Solar and Wassily Kandinsky, among many other artists. Following a five-year, 15 million-dollar renovation, the museum's main building was reopened to the public on December 23, 2010; future expansion plans include an addition that would quadruple its existing 3,000 m² (32,000 ft²) of space, and would absorb the library and archives annex, currently located at 963 Adolfo Alsina Street.