Albury railway station
Albury railway station is located on the New South Wales/Victorian border city of Albury. Designed and constructed under the supervision of John Whitton, it opened on 26 February 1882, replacing a temporary structure, which opened on 3 February 1881, when the Main South line was extended from Gerogery. The premiers of both New South Wales and Victoria attended the official opening of the 1881 station, marking the first time in Australian history that two colonial premiers had appeared together publicly.
By 1873, the Victorian line was complete as far as Wodonga, and so a rail trip between Sydney and Melbourne required the use of a short stagecoach connection to cross the Murray River. The Victorian Railways' broad gauge line from Wodonga opened on 14 June 1883.
The New South Wales Government Railways were built to the standard gauge, which meant travellers in both directions had to change trains at Albury. This resulted in a 455 metres (1,493 ft) long platform being built to accommodate that move, then the longest in Australia.
In April 1962, a new standard gauge line to Melbourne's Spencer Street station opened, and thus the Intercapital Daylight, Southern Aurora and Spirit of Progress began to operate without the need to change trains. However, the Riverina Express continued to terminate at Albury until November 1993, with passengers transferring to V/Line services to continue into Victoria.
Albury had extensive transshipment facilities, with all freight also required to be transferred. Later, a bogie change facility was opened. It also featured locomotive and carriage depots. Much of the yard was demolished to make way for the Hume Highway bypass in 2005. Albury also had a refreshment room, which closed in August 1975.