Mingachevir, is the fourth-largest city in Azerbaijan with a population of about 110,000. It is known as city of lights because of its hydroelectric power station on the Kur River, which splits the country with electricity (65 - 70 % ) in half.
The area has been settled for thousands of years, but the current city was founded in 1948, partly by German soldiers who were taken prisoner during World War II. Mingechevir is also home to Mingachevir Polytechnic Institute. The city forms an administrative division of Azerbaijan.