Guelph Farmers' Market
The Guelph Farmers' Market has served as a cultural and commercial anchor in downtown Guelph since the first Market House was built in 1827. After 180 years it is still going strong and remains a popular stop on Saturday mornings for both locals and visitors. The Guelph Farmers' Market's website proclaims "Buy Local - Buy Fresh", reflecting the growing trend to "eat where you live" which is supported by local, national, international organizations and popular opinion.
The Farmers Market occupies a single building and surrounding outdoor space, housing approximately 60 vendors in winter, with numbers swelling to over 120 vendors during the summer and early fall. Vendors at the market offer a variety of products and services, including fresh produce, baked goods, crafts, personal care products, clothing, photography and a collection of works by local artists. The venue also plays host to a number of charitable events throughout the year.
The market currently stands at the corner of Gordon St and Waterloo Ave in what was previously the show horse barn. It was relocated to this location in 1968.