The Capitol Theatre in Downtown Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada is an 800-seat, restored 1920s-era vaudeville house on Main Street that serves as the centre for cultural entertainment for the city. Designed by René-Arthur Fréchet in 1920, it was rebuilt by Fréchet in 1926 after it burned. Having been converted to a cinema early in its history, the theatre was purchased by the City of Moncton in 1991, restored to its original look commencing in 1992, and was officially reopened as a performance space in 1993. The theatre routinely hosts the live stage productions of Theatre New Brunswick and The Atlantic Ballet Theatre of Canada, as well as symphony orchestra and dance performances.
Doug Roper, Vice President of the Performing Arts Sponsors of Nova Scotia (Pasons) and General Manager of the 1916 Savoy Theatre in Glace Bay Nova Scotia was recruited by the city of Moncton, NB to consult and later become the first General Manager of the newly restored (1992) Capital Theatre. Roper, who wanted the theatre to look as it did in 1927, contacted Mandel Sprocman, famous Canadian Architect to assist with the project. Sprocman suggested contacting David and Patty Hanovan who were engaged to help restore and duplicate the look of the 1900s venue.