Old Quebec Funicular
The Old Quebec Funicular is a funicular railway in the Old Quebec neighbourhood of the city of Quebec in Canada. It links the Haute-Ville (Upper Town) to the Basse-Ville (Lower Town), which includes such sites as the ancient Notre Dame des Victoires church, the historic Petit Champlain district, the port, and the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilization). Climbing at a 45-degree angle, the railway covers a total distance of 64 metres (210 feet).
The funicular opened on November 17, 1879, and originally used the water ballast system of propulsion, similar to that still used by the Nerobergbahn in Wiesbaden, Germany. The line was converted to electrical operation in 1907. On July 2, 1945, a major fire destroyed the structure, necessitating a rebuild that was completed in 1946. Since then, major renovations have taken place in 1978 and 1998. In 2004 it celebrated 125 years of operating.
In October 1996, Briton Helen Tombs was killed when the cable snapped and the emergency brake failed to stop the cabin before it crashed into the lower station. Due to this crash, the funicular was closed and entirely revamped with modern technology. It reopened in 1998.
The funicular has the following technical parameters: