Copperbelt Railway & Mining Museum
The Copperbelt Railway & Mining Museum (CR&MM) is run by the Miles Canyon Historic Railway Society (MCHRS), which consists of a board of six members. The objectives of the society are to: a) To preserve, promote and to protect the railway heritage of the Yukon; b) To develop and operate the Waterfront Trolley; c) To develop and operate the Copperbelt Railway & Mining Museum; and d) To promote and enhance tourism development in the city of Whitehorse and the Yukon.
The eight hectare parcel of land that the CR&MM is located at was provided by the Yukon Electrical Company in 1998. Construction on the first loop section of narrow gauge track began the same year, further sections were added in subsequent years with a 1.8 km figure eight configuration that is in operation as of 2011.
The museum is located at 91928 Alaska Highway - two kilometres north of Two Miles Hill. The museum itself was built from blueprints to replicate a train station built in 1906. The museum is open 7 days a week, from 10am – 5pm starting in early June to Labour Day weekend in September. It is a non-profit museum that relies on government funding and donations from tourists and patrons.
The Whitehorse Waterfront Trolley is also managed by the MCHRS on behalf of the Yukon Territorial Government.