Seven Oaks House Museum
Open seasonally from the May long weekend to Labour Day. The Seven Oaks House Museum is a museum in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The two-storey log dwelling is designated a Provincial Heritage Site, and a Winnipeg Landmark Heritage Structure.
Seven Oaks House is one of the oldest surviving residences in Manitoba and one of a handful of log buildings remaining that give a picture of life at Red River during the 1800s. Built from 1851-1853 primarily of wood, with a stone foundation, the home of John Inkster is today a valuable part of the province of Manitoba's heritage. The restored dwelling is open to the public. Its furnishings, some of them original, recapture the style and use of the rooms when John Inkster and his family lived here. The house was owned by one family, the Inksters, until 1952 when it was turned over to the city to be used as a park and museum.
Seven Oaks takes its name from a nearby creek where seven large oak trees once stood, marking the site of the Battle of Seven Oaks fought in 1816. The museum is open to the public 7 days a week (10am - 5pm) from the May Long Weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Tours are available and admission to the museum is by donation. The Museum is affiliated with CMA, CHIN, and Virtual Museum of Canada.