The Neue Wache is a building in Berlin, the capital of Germany. It serves as the "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Dictatorship". It is located on the north side of the Unter den Linden boulevard in the central Mitte district. Dating from 1816, the Neue Wache was designed by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel and is a leading example of German Greek Revival architecture. Originally built as a guardhouse for the troops of the crown prince of Prussia, the building has been used as a war memorial since 1931.