Burg bei Magdeburg
Burg bei Magdeburg is a town of about 23,900 inhabitants on the Elbe–Havel Canal in northeastern Germany, 25 km (16 mi) northeast of Magdeburg. It is the capital of the Jerichower Land district in the state of Saxony-Anhalt. The town is known for its mediaeval churches and towers. Due to the numerous towers and steeples Burg also carries the sobriquet City of Towers. Like other German towns and cities, Burg shows its connection to the Roland saga with a statue, which was restored in 1999. Although the name Burg has the same form as the German word Burg (castle), it is more likely that the name comes from the Slavic word bor, meaning coniferous forest. Burg formerly had the largest shoe manufacturing factory in Europe and was the first to produce manufactured crispbread in Germany, beginning production in 1931. The town is notable as both the birthplace and the final resting place of General Carl von Clausewitz. Near Burg there is a large transmission site for long- and mediumwave, which was among other things used for the transmissions of Radio Wolga.