Fellbach is a mid-sized town on the north-east Border of Stuttgart in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. With a population of approximately 43,700 as of December 2003, it is the second largest town in the District Rems-Murr-Kreis. The area of the town is 27.7 km2 (10.7 sq mi). Fellbach was first mentioned as Velbach in 1121. It was called Vellebach in 1357 and the name Fehlbach was used in around 1800. On 14 October 1933, it was declared a city. After World War II it reached a population of more than 20,000 in 1950 and therefore received the status "Große Kreisstadt". Fellbach has 3 main districts: Fellbach, Schmiden (since 1 January 1973) and Oeffingen (since 1 April 1974).