Since 1966, it has been home stadium to the German Bundesliga club 1. FC Nürnberg. During the 1972 Summer Olympics, it hosted six football matches. In 1967, it hosted the European Cup Winners' Cup final between Rangers and Bayern Munich. Bayern won 1–0.
Originally it was known as the Städtisches Stadion (English: Municipal Stadium) until 1945, when it was renamed Victory Stadium. In 1961, it returned to its original name until 1991, when it received the name Frankenstadion. On 14 March 2006, the stadium was renamed easyCredit-Stadion for a period of five years, after a sponsorship deal with the German bank DZ Bank. Many fans of the 1. FC Nuremberg, led by the "Ultras Nuremberg" introduced on 1 April 2006, held demonstration against the name and symbolically renamed the stadium with its current name, in honour of one of the best players in the club's history, Max Morlock. On 14 February 2013, the stadium was renamed Grundig Stadion (pronounced or ), after a sponsorship deal with Grundig. In July 2016, the stadium's name changed back to Stadion Nürnberg after the city of Nuremberg could not find a new sponsor. From 1 July 2017, the stadium's name officially became Max-Morlock-Stadion.
The stadium hosted five games of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, including the famous match between Portugal and the Netherlands, consequently known as the Battle of Nuremberg.