The park dates to 1293, when a new wall was constructed after enlargement of the city. Its moat now forms part of the landscape. The site became a private garden in 1804, subsequently owned by the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis, and served its Württembergisches Palais served as the residence of Duchess Maria Sophia of Württemberg (née Princess of Thurn and Taxis). It 1935 it became municipal property, and in 1950-1952 was converted to a public park. Today it contains the following major features:
The adjacent Württembergisches Palais is now the Natural History Museum of Eastern Bavaria, and consists of three interconnected wings devoted to mineralogy, paleontology, zoology, and botany.