Sangerhausen is a town in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany, capital of the district of Mansfeld-Südharz, without being part of it. It is situated southeast of the Harz, approx. 35 kilometres (22 miles) east of Nordhausen, and 50 km (31 mi) west of Halle (Saale). About 31,000 people live in Sangerhausen.
Sangerhausen is one of the oldest towns in the historical region of Saxony-Anhalt, being mentioned in a document of 991 as appertaining to the estates of the emperor. By marriage it passed to the landgrave of Thuringia, and after 1056 it formed for a while an independent country. Having been again part of Thuringia, it fell in 1249 to Meissen, and in 1291 to Brandenburg. In 1372 it passed to the Electorate of Saxony and formed a portion of that territory until 1815, when it became a part of the Prussian Province of Saxony.
- Altes Rathaus ("Old Town Hall"), erected in 1431-1437 after a previous edifice burned down in 1358.
- Church of St. Mary (Marienkirche), built in 1350 in Gothic style
- Church of St. James (Jakobikirche, 1457-1542), a late Gothic hall edifice with a nave and three aisles. It has a 61 m-high, slightly tilting bell tower with a Baroque cover. The interior has a rich decoration painted by Georg Bottschild in 1665, while the choir stalls and the high altar are from an Augustinian monastery closed in 1539. It also houses numerous tombs and effigies. Johann Sebastian Bach applied here in 1702 for the post of organist, but the job went to Johann Augustin Kobelius.
- Church of St. Ulrich (Ulrichkirche), one of the most interesting Romanesque edifices in Germany. It is a basilica built in 1116-1123, with a bell tower added in the 15th century. It has a nave and two aisles with groin vault. The eastern part has five apses.
- The Altes Schloss ("Old Castle"), built by the lords of Meissen. Only a tower remains. The New Palace or Neues Schloss was built by Kaspar Tryller, minister of Finances of the Electorate of Saxony, from 1612 to 1622. It is a Renaissance style, and now houses the county court.