Christlieger is the name of the only island in the Königssee. It is located near the northern end of the lake, at 47°35′08″N 12°35′17″E. It is also called Johannesinsel (John's Island or St. John's), after the marble statue of John of Nepomuk that was erected on the island in 1711. The island is 61 meters long north-south and up to 26 meters wide, with an area of 1260 square meters (0.31 acres). On the eastern side, small boats can land, but not the passenger boats going to St. Bartholomä. The island is part of the municipality of Schönau am Königssee. The land is owned by the Free State of Bavaria.