Church of St. Francis Xavier, Kaunas
Church of St. Francis Xavier is located in the Old Town of Kaunas, Lithuania. The church dedicated to St. Francis Xavier was built at the Town Hall Square in the Old Town of Kaunas by Jesuits. They opened their first residence in Kaunas in 1642 and established a chapel in the House of Perkūnas in 1643. Later they also founded a first four-form school in the city in 1649. The construction of the church started in 1666, and it was consecrated in 1722.
Tsarist Russian government gave the church to the Orthodox church for their use in 1824. The church was again assigned to the Jesuits only in 1924. After Lithuania was occupied by Soviets the St. Francis Xavier church was turned into a technical school, the interior of the church was used as a hall of sports. The church was returned again to the Jesuits in 1989. A renovation of the church took place in 1992.