M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum
The M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum is a group of museums based in Kaunas, Lithuania. It is primarily dedicated to exhibiting and publicizing the works of the painter and musician M.K. Čiurlionis (1875–1911). The museum was founded in 1921, and opened a temporary gallery in 1925. It was renamed Vytautas the Great Museum of Culture in 1936, receiving its current name in 1944. An expansion took place in 1969. The museum sponsors international exhibitions along with lectures, concerts, conferences, and special educational activities for children. The museum shares its building with the Vytautas the Great War Museum and is located in the New Town of Kaunas. The oldest still functioning Žaliakalnis Funicular Railway is situated nearby. It climbs 142 metres (466 ft) up from behind the M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum to the Church of the Resurrection.