Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge
It carries the N51 across the Alzette, connecting the Avenue John Fitzgerald Kennedy, in Kirchberg, to Boulevard Robert Schuman, in Limpertsberg. The bridge is also known as the Red Bridge (Luxembourgish: Rout Bréck, German: Rote Brücke, French: Pont Rouge) on account of its distinctive red paintwork.
It is the main route connecting the city centre, Ville Haute, to Kirchberg, the site of the city's European Union institutions. It was built with the intention of promoting the choice of Luxembourg as the final seat of the European Communities. While the bridge was under construction, the Merger Treaty was signed, maintaining the previous separation of locations, but preserving Luxembourg as the location of several institutions.
German architect Egon Jux designed the bridge, beating 68 competitors in a competition launched by Luxembourg's government in 1957. Construction began in 1962, with official groundbreaking on 20 June 1963 by Charlotte, then Grand Duchess. Construction was finished in 1965, and the bridge opened in October 1966. It is named after Charlotte.