Rumelange (Luxembourgish: Rëmeleng pronounced, German: Rümelingen) is a commune with town status in south-western Luxembourg, on the border with France. As of the February 1, 2011 census, the commune had a population of 5,038. As of 2008, the town of Rumelange, which lies in the east of the commune, has a population of 4,818. Rumelange was formed on 25 September 1891, when it was detached from the commune of Kayl. The law forming Rumelange was passed on the 27 June 1891. It is the site of some of the underground iron mines no longer in operation. Rumelange is home to Luxembourg's National Mining Museum.