Wall of Trujillo
The Wall of Trujillo was a Peruvian defensive edification built in the 17th century to protect Trujillo city against attacks from pirates and privateers. It was constructed by Viceroy Melchor de Navarra y Rocafull between 1687 and 1690, it surrounded the current historic centre of the city and included 15 bastions and five gates. It was torn down towards the end of 19th century to allow the construction of new neighborhoods as the city expanded. Some sections of the wall can still be seen today, including parts that have been restored in El Recreo Square at the end of Pizarro Street in the historic center, which is now a public area. There are also still fragments of the wall conserved on España Avenue. Trujillo was one of three walled cities during Spanish rule in the Americas, the other two being Lima and Cartagena.