For the forester, see Hans Carl von Carlowitz. Sremski Karlovci (Serbian Cyrillic: Сремски Карловци, pronounced) is a town and municipality located in the South Bačka District of the autonomous province of Vojvodina, Serbia. It is situated on the bank of the river Danube, 8 kilometres (5 miles) from Novi Sad. According to the 2011 census results, it has a population of 8,750 inhabitants. The town has traditionally been known as the seat of Serbian Orthodox Church in the Habsburg Monarchy, as well as political and cultural capital of Serbian Vojvodina after the May Assembly and during the Revolution in 1848.