St. Elisabeth Cathedral
The record of the existence of Košice, dating from 1230, is connected with the existence of the rectory church. In the process of the settlement's transformation from a rural community into a town, all its periods of successes and failures have been reflected in St. Elisabeth's Cathedral. According to historical and archaeological sources the present-day cathedral was built on the place of the older temple which was consecrated to St. Elisabeth as well. It was referred to in the document of Pope Martin V in the year 1283 and in the letter of 1290, which stated that the bishop of Eger Andrew II exempted Košice parish from the dean's sphere of jurisdiction.