Lučenec (Slovak pronunciation; German: Lizenz; Hungarian: Losonc; Yiddish: לאשאנץ; Latin: Lutetia Hungarorum) is a town in the Banská Bystrica Region of south-central Slovakia. Historically, it was part, and in the 18th century the capital, of Nógrád County of the Kingdom of Hungary. In 1918, as a result of the Treaty of Trianon, it became a part of Czechoslovakia. The town has a large synagogue, built in 1924, which served a large Jewish population before World War II. The synagogue underwent renovations in 2016. Lučenec is the economic centre of the whole Novohrad region, which includes districts Poltár and Veľký Krtíš.